Thursday, April 4, 2013

Mulege - Gateway to Bahia Concepcion

 In Mulege. Gateway to Bahia Concepcion, Mecca for paddling in Baja. That said I have gone 420 miles and 27 days without seeing another kayaker. I have seen some little sit on top day paddlers on people's beaches but no one actually paddling. If I don't see someone this week I may go the entire way without crossing paths with one. I am finally taking a full rest day. I have had some half days but never a full rest day and the weather has really cooperated so I haven't had to take a weather day either. Basically I am 2/3 done and it is time to dump out all my dry bags and reinventory what I have left. I can resupply here and in Loreto in about 8 days. I am going to head from here into Conception Bay and have some mellow days there. There is a hot springs I want to find and some little islands that are an easy day paddle. About 19 days left. Still a chunk to go but the end is in sight at the same time. It is becoming more tropical now. The water is becoming noticeably warmer. Palm trees have started to appear. The types of fish are changing. My kayak keeps scaring up flying fish and I have seen sting rays by the hundreds. Whales still make occasional appearances. I had a 25 foot whale shark circling within feet of my boat, and the views under the water when it is calm continues to be amazing. This area has been commercially fished pretty hard (both legal and illegally) and that shows in the much lower density of sea birds here.
Mulege has an international flavor. So far I have met Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, Germans, and a Belgian. There is a pretty big expat community that lives here and it is easy to get to on the highway. Once again everyone I meet wants to take care of me. Give me rides, show me around town, help me find stuff, give me supplies, etc. Not one person who lives down here feels unsafe. If you are looking for some sun and sand I would highly recommend coming to Baja. It has been a fantastic place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment